Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Stair help!

The stairs are killing me.... Last week I thought it would be best to strip the paint on the steps to expose the wood. Well, I stripped three of them and it was a disaster. The wood underneath is untreated pine and is now stained cherry red because of three colors I tried to remove. I should have bought stronger remover but I was scared to because I was working inside with no cross ventilation and Arthur was there. And with further inspection today, the wood on the risers is beat up, with tons of holes from nails and staples and looks awful, even if I were to patch them and paint. Now I have decided painting them and laying a runner will be the easiest and best looking solution. I have been researching runners online and have found a few options. I really love the look of white stairs with a light colored runner on top like these:
Jute Stair Carpet Runner with Bleached Stripes Artsy Rug Carpet Runner
do not like the border on the right one
Ideally I would want a runner with some gray in it, to bring out the gray banister. I am not a huge fan of sisal because it hurts but I think I could find a softer one like jute. Anyway, thoughts on this? I feel like I have ideas of what I want but when I start doing the projects I am having to choose different options to cover the mistakes from the past.
Jute Boucle Rug, 2' x 3', Flax
I like this platinum runner but it is only 7' long, I need at least 18' and it is 2.5' wide, I need only 1.5'.

No comments:

Post a Comment